Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Astonishing Father Ted at the Huff Rally

Since we don't subscribe to digital cable, my wife and I do not get BBC America. We content ourselves with as many DVD collections of British programs that we can stuff on our Netflix queue . We are currently watching the first and second seasons of Father Ted on DVD. Extremely funny and irreverent.

I picked up the second issue of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men last night too. I may post a longer review another time but, on the whole, I enjoyed it. The strong points from the first issue (namely, Kitty Pride and Emma Frost) are still strong in this one. The weakest element in the last issue (the relationship between Scott Summers and Logan) is downplayed here. In fact, it is the source of one of the snarkier lines in the issue. The fight scene was clearly rendered, highlighting each character's abilities, with a nice conclusion. And the (presumably) main conflict generated several smaller conflicts that will be interesting to follow. I was relieved after reading the comic!

My assistant's band The Huff Rally has a new CD. It's called Sewer Rose Symphony and one can purchase it through a link on the Rally's web page. Pick up a copy and relive your punk roots! You can more info on my assistant's solo work here.

Finally, the Harry Ransom Center is exhibiting the work of Depression Era photographer Russell Lee and the influential modernism journal Camera Work. Check out the details at the link on the right side of this page. If you are in Austin, then do yourself a favor and check these exhibits out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should I be threatened that my husband's assistant is a total rocker babe? Hmmmm......

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home