Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Friday, June 18, 2004

The Idiot Box

After many fits and starts, my new computer is installed and ready for action. As regular readers know, I missed the delivery truck by only seconds on Wednesday. I called UPS and asked them to hold the three packages containing the computer stuff so that I could pick them up and not have to worry about missing the van. As the local UPS Customer Pickup is on the extreme east end of town, I took off work a little early yesterday (Thursday) to get the packages. When I got there and waited for about twenty minutes, I learned that only one of the packages was there. Apparently, the driver neglected to pull them all. The other two were cruising around town in a UPS van.

I suppose that this is not a big deal when placed upon the continuum of petty annoyances. But I had taken off early from work in order to get my stuff and I expected everything to be there when I arrived. So I was miffed. But I tried to be gracious to the person at customer pickup (who wasn't responsible for the error) took my one package and left. I was told that the van would attempt to drop the packages off sometime the same day. I only hoped that the driver hadn't done so when I was not there. I didn't want to repeat this whole thing again on Friday.

I got home and did not find a note from UPS waiting for me. To be sure, I called UPS and confirmed that the van had not yet arrived. So I settled myself down in front of the television and waited.

And waited.

Several hours went by and I grew concerned. Did the fellow miss the stop? Were my packages lost somewhere? I called UPS again and they assured me it was on its way. I grew a little anxious and restless. My wife came home and cooked a fantastic meal and we fretted together for a while longer.

The packages arrived after seven o'clock Thursday evening. I was never so happy to see a brown van! Needless to say, I set to putting the thing together and booting it up. And now it quietly waits for me in my study.

Looking back on the episode, I decided I wouldn't get upset about what happened. After all, I am sure that mistakes like that happen in a complex system like the one UPS uses. And I did get the computer (indeed, I received it earlier than I planned!).

But City of Heroes will have to wait another week. I don't have my high speed online service yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home