Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

My Lost Weekend

I know what you've been asking yourself: "Gee, I haven't heard from Uncle Patrick in, like, days and stuff. He must have had a wild weekend. And stuff."

It was wild all right. Whee!

Saturday was the day the cable company came out to install high speed online service. True to form, they would not commit to anything more specific than "8-12 am". Equally true to form, they showed up thirty minutes late. The cable guy then took another hour and a half to install the service. I try to take this stuff in stride; after all, the guy didn't break anything and he did leave me with the high speed service. I did have to fix some stuff he messed up,though. In short, an entire day wasted waiting around and dealing with this thing.

Saturday night was well spent, though. My wife and I attended the Austin premiere of Before Sunset. The director and two actors attended and held a Q&A session afterwards. The movie doesn't sound very interesting on paper: two people walk and talk for ninety minutes. But the conversation is fascinating and the resolution was very satisfying. In all, I enjoyed this movie more than its predecessor Before Sunrise.

I installed City of Heroes on Sunday and joined some friends for an afternoon of crime fighting. The game is fun but I was a little lost. I am not much of a computer game player and the controls/interface took a little getting used to. I also suffered from the fact that I did not have the right driver for my video card installed and the game kept freezing or crashing on me. But I installed the driver and I've been practicing so the game is much better now.

My wife's friends from New Orleans were in town this weekend too. They are the couple we stayed with during our New Orleans Jazz Fest experience. They are great people. We joined them on Friday night and enjoyed a late (for me) show performed by Matt the Electrician. My wife and I ducked out after the first set because we were so tired. And that was the last time I saw our friends. With the cable and my commitment on Sunday (which was arranged well in advance - it's hard to get adults to get together, even if they never their homes), I was tehtered to the homestead. My wife got to spend a lot of time with them, though, and that was good.

That is all for now. I need the rest, kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home