Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Thursday, June 17, 2004

New Computer

As I wound through my neighborhood yesterday evening on my way home after work, I passed the UPS truck. It did not occur to me that my computer would arrive so soon but if it had, I would have tried to flag the UPS dude down. As it happens, he didn't leave the packages on my doorstep (thank goodness) and I missed him by mere seconds.

I arranged to pick the computer up this afternoon at the local UPS depo, so I should be up and running this evening!

I did some research yesterday regarding Linux distros and I decided that SuSE Personal 9.1 is the best fit. The fact that it boasts a live CD (which allows me to try the system without downloading it on my computer) helped me make the decision. I am curious about OpenOffice, which is bundled in the SuSE distro. I am also anxious to see what Firefox, the browser released by Mozilla, is all about.

Good times ahead. Love that learning curve!

I highly recommend The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1 as musical accompaniment to one's Linux research.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard good things about SUSE. When I was using Linux, I was a Debian guy because I had a friend who is a Debian developer. Debian is really for the tech-savvy, which I am not, so I ended up just using Windows XP.

I hope you're enjoing City of Heroes!

Eric Marin

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home