Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Public Service Announcement

I recommend that everyone see the documentary Supersize Me. It is a sobering look at the effects of fast food on the human body and the industry's cynical manipulation of its customers. The movie is well worth your time.

I continue to plug away at An Army at Dawn, a book about the North African theater in WWII. It is still early yet for the Americans and many logistical, tactical and strategic issues have yet to be worked out. Soldiers are paying for the mistakes, though. I am rather shocked to discover that we lost so many men seizing a few North African ports from the Vichy French. Fortunately, the author, Rick Atkinson, writes well and leavens the dry stuff with interesting character sketches of the more colorful men involved in the effort. And what better way to observe Memorial Day than to learn what those men died for?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said - on the Memorial Day issue. I spent that morning finishing up the DVD boxed set of BAND OF BROTHERS. After drying my eyes, I went out and repaired the flag holder on the front of our house and put out our flag... I'm proud to be a veteran, although I would never count myself among those that went through what those men did. I think their particular sense of duty, honor, and bravery, and how that's just "the way it was" for them, is a rare thing anymore. - AiO

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home