Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Friday, July 02, 2004

Night and Day

My wife and I watched Night and Day on Turner Classic Movies last night. The movie, starring Cary Grant, is loosely based upon Cole Porter's life. It features many of Mr. Porter's songs, sung by many of the prominent white women of the time. The singers were good but a little stiff and formal. I much prefer Ella Fitzgerald's versions, which really swing. Cary Grant was good though, as always.

Robert Osborne tells us after the movie that almost nothing dramatized in the movie actually happened. I understand that a more factual version will be released soon, if it isn't already, De-Lovely. I think that Cole Porter is one of the 20th century's greatest pop musicians, so the new movie is on my list.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, De Lovely sucketh mightily from what I've heard.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trying to find out if Nina Simone ever recorded Night and Day. Anyone know the answer?

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home