Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Uncle Patrick's Record Room

I haven't much to report today, so I thought I'd leave you with some CD recommendations.

Nina Simone's music plays a significant role in Richard Linklater's recent movie Before Sunset. I really enjoyed the movie so I picked up Ms. Simone's Nina: The Essential Nina Simone. She has a distinctive voice that really swings. The album covers a wide range of styles, from hymnals to Gershwin, which Ms. Simone makes her own with a playful, personal style.

Remember when I recommended Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo? Well, she has a new one out, the eponymous Bebel Gilberto. It is just as cool (well, chill) as the first.

And I can't believe that I have gone this long without touting Richard Thompson. He's an outstanding guitar player and songwriter and should be in everyone's music collection. Although his song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" is his signature tune, I would begin with a more recent album Mock Tudor. It is accessible and very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home