Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Thursday, August 19, 2004

With Supreme Power Comes Supreme Responsibility

In a stunning example of the triumph of hope over experience, I purchased this month's issue of Supreme Power yesterday. My dislike for decompression in comics is well known and this comic is an extreme example of this technique. I had hopes for this issue: the previous issue ended with two of the heroes teaming up and contemplating kicking some villain ass. Finally, some action, some forward momentum in plot!

Guess what? It didn't happen. Nothing much happens. Hyperion is confused. Dr. Spectrum is confused. Dr. Spectrum's scientist pal is confused. The government flunkies are in full exposition mode. Nighthawk is a jerk. And the Wonder Woman knock-off goes shopping in Rome. Lots of boobies too. Hey kids, comics!

That's it. I'm done with this book. It's creators had a chance to retell an interesting story in an interesting way but they succeeded only boring me to tears. And where's Tom Thumb, anyway?

What saddens me even more is that the book's writer will tackle Dr. Strange soon in a mini-series. That character is so full of potential just waiting to be tapped. After this performance, I despair that the potential will not be realized. By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, will Marvel ever release a TPB of Roger Stern's excellent run from the '80's?


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I definitely agree with what you say about Supreme Power, and I really hate the decompressed style as well, but for some reason I'm drawn to this series. I'm thinking it's the art (and not just the nice boobies), but I'm not even sure if it's that. For some reason, I just keep coming back to this series.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Tom Bondurant said...

When can we start calling "Star Trek The Motion Picture" decompressed? The minute that happens, my opinion of Supreme Power will increase.

I'm done with this series too. Astro City does better superhero analogues.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home