Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy New Year

This past year did not want to let go of us. There was a lot of stress at work, sickness, missed family and, yes, even death.

My parents are still in Costa Rica. They called us on New Year's Day after hosting a huge party for the locals the night before. They roasted a 200lb pig and everyone else brought rice and beans. I can only imagine what that did to my parents' digestive systems. But they had a great time. They come home on Tuesday, so I will learn more and pass on the interesting bits.

My wife and I did very little over the past three days. Our lives had been very hectic thoughout the holiday and this was our first opportunity to really sit down and relax. When I wasn't working 12 hour days, my wife was very ill. This weekend we gave ourselves a break. We ate sushi, read books, watched DVDs and went to a movie. On New Year's Eve we ran into an acquaintance at the grocery store. We had a nice chat and our acquaintance said something that rang very true with me: New Year's Eve is not a very good holiday. We celebrate a brief moment in time, one that happens rather late for working people. When you go to a New Year's Eve party, time seems to drag until midnite and then, before you know it, it is two in the morning and time is already passing you by. We thought this was sad, but true. Afterwards, my wife and I watched some Buster Keaton, drank a little champagne, and went to bed.

A member of my in-law's family died just before the New Year. She was ailing, elderly and frail. For as long as I knew her, she was barely consious of the outside world. I saw only brief moments of lucidity. She was quiet most of the time but her condition loomed large in the family. I understand that she was quite a character before illness set in and I am sorry that I never got to know her. Her funeral is next week.

I don't want to begin the New Year - and end this blog entry - on a sad note. I look back and I am glad of many things too: I am still married to a wonderful woman, I still have my family and friends, and it looks like I might finally have a career. I started this blog, I have a niece who is cute as a button. I got a lot of writing done, managed to pay all of my bills, and made new friends too.

Like everyone, I am hopeful that this year will be better than the last. I hope I will be healthier, I fervently wish that my wife will feel better, I hope things turn out well for everyone.

Good night, all. Happy New Year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. On a brighter note, please also pass along my very best wishes to everyone in your family - and especially to yourself, my friend. It has been truly awesome that we've been able to stay in better contact this year, and this blog of yours has been a magnificent contribution to that. Well done! Here's to another year! Anonymous (and blogless) in Ohio

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home