Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Thursday, June 23, 2005

I am posting via the Safari browser, which comes standard on MacOS X. I am not as thrilled with Safari as I am with Firefox. For one thing, Safari doesn't appear to have the extensions available on Firefox. I am rather spoiled by the fact that I can check the weather on Firefox with a click of an icon. The tabbed windows feature is quite cool too. And for some reason, I do not have the options I usually enjoy when posting to my blog in the Firefox browser. I cannot easily create a link to another page, for example. Although Safari is very fast and efficient, I think I will stick with Firefox.

I finished H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds yesterday. I admit that the new movie prompted me to pick up the story. I remember tackling it many many years ago (I think I was ten or eleven) and I wanted another shot at it. Although the prose can be clunky, I found it to be a fun and thought provoking read. Unlike the invaders in many monster movies (Independence Day is the most striking example), the Martians are not invulnerable. They rely upon their superior technology, the element of surprise, and the lack of coordination among their victims to gain the upper hand. They obtain the upper hand quickly and capitalize upon their advantages. In short, they are pretty smart. Mr. Wells doesn't make it easy on the humans in this story, and he takes the time to show us how different people react to these adverse circumstances. In short, a very entertaining way to spend an afternoon.

My wife and I saw Batman Begins the other day too. I thought the movie did justice to the comic. I think Christian Bale makes an excellent Batman/Bruce Wayne. I liked the "monster movie" approach to the fight scenes, wherein the audience doesn't get a good look at the monster (Batman) when he attacks. However, I hope that the next film doesn't indulge in that jerky, quick cut camera technique during fight scenes. If the Joker is the featured antagonist in the next film, then I strongly urge the powers that be to hire Hugh Laurie to play the part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home