Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Friday, June 10, 2005

Tough Lunch

I am on a diet. By that I mean that I am experiencing a lifestyle change. By that I mean that I am following a weight watchers regimen.

My lunch plans fell through so I was left to my own devices today. Under normal circumstances, this is not a reason to panic. But these are not normal circumstances: I am undergoing a lifestyle change, dammit! My normal haunts are not easy on the calories and the resounding lack of company made a car drive to a diet-friendly restaraunt unattractive. Where to go? What to do? I decided to wing it.

I should note here that my extra points reset today and that I have 35 points to play with. I could go to many of my usual places and eat what I used to eat with little fear of falling off the wagon...if I was willing to use most, if not all, of my points at once. I wasn't willing to do that. I want to treat myself this weekend but I want to do it with something good, not fast-food lunch fare.

Anyway, I wracked my brain for ideas and came up with a greek restaraunt that serves a decent salad. If I had the dressing on the side and took it easy on the feta, I could get away with it. Alas, when I got there (a few blocks from the office) I discovered that there was a line to the counter that nearly stratched out the door. It is a popular place for lunch and my indecision cost me a choice spot in that line.

I did not despair. I remembered that there is a Thai restaraunt not far from where I stood. I figured I could get something there.

It was not as easy as it sounds. The menu had lots of good stuff on it, but nearly all of it involved noodles, rice and/or coconut milk-based curry. I was walking through a minefield here; a misstep could cost me precious points. But I had already sat down at a table, so I endeavored to make the best of it.

I chose a vermicelli dish with chicken and vegetables. I picked through the noodels for the other stuff until I was left with a bowl of pristine, lonely noodles. I drank a couple of tall glasses of water and I was done. I think the waiter was a little disappointed that I did not eat everything (I admit, that I was too) but he accepted payment readily enough.

I came away from the experience full enough to tide me over 'till an afternnon snack. I also felt some satisfaction for overcoming what could have been a bad lifestyle change experience. But lunch shouldn't be a source of anxiety.

Note to self: take lunch to work for a while until I can work the kinks out of the system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home