Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Friday, August 26, 2005

Files Deleted


Apple's iPod, which is a great and handy device, allows the user to download songs from the iTunes database on one's PC to the iPod but does not allow the user to upload songs from the iPod to the PC. I understand that Apple intends this prohibition against uploading to be a discouragement to people who want to swap copies of mpeg files willy-nilly (dare I say, illegally?). I am cool with this, to a point. Under normal circumstances, I am happy to drive the one-way street from iTunes to iPod. I obtain my music using (currently) legal methods. I spent many hours ripping most of my CD collection into iTunes (over 7 GB). I purchase other music from the iTunes store. I have nothing to be ashamed of.

But what happens when you lose the data in iTunes, including music you purchased in mpeg only format? You are screwed. You can't use your iPod as a backup storage device to retrieve lost data. Let me qualify that: you can do it with utilities one can obtain on the internet but these only work if your iPod does not automatically sync with iTunes. And this "auto-sync" is the default condition that can only be changed when the iPod is connected to iTunes. And the iPod and iTunes sync automatically when the iPod is connected. And when iTunes discovers that it doesn't have copies of the music stored on the iPod, iTunes erases the music on the iPod. Unless you are forward thinking enough to turn off the "auto-sync" function while the data in iTunes matches the data in your iPod (I wasn't), then you will lose your iPod data before the utility has a chance to load. That is what happened to me last night. Over 7GB of data gone, including $30+ worth of mpeg only music.

I am not happy with Apple right now. I am seriously re-considering my stance on digital copyright. This is getting silly and directly affecting my pocket book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home