Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Sony CDs

Apparently, in an effort to protect its content from nefarious CD-rippers, Sony will include software with each new music CD that forces the user to download a proprietary media player in order to play the music stored on the CD. The CDs will also install stealth software, called "rootkits," into your computer. I am not sure what this software does (I am not as sophisticated about this stuff as this guy is) but I don't want it. It's hard enough to keep track of the crap that currently vies for space on my PC as it is.

I guess I won't be buying Sony music anymore. Great job, guys!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Patrick! I haven't had the opportunity to post a reply here in quite a while, but I have something on the subject of CDs (non-Sony, unfortunately, so it's a stretch...)

I was just recently loaned a copy of jazz pianist Herbie Hancock's latest CD and feel compelled to PRAISE IT MIGHTILY! It's called "Possibilities", and all the cuts are collaborations with various artists in the pop music field. He does tracks with John Mayer, Santana, Christine Aguilera (don't scowl - she knocks it out of the park on this song), Paul Simon, Annie Lennox, Sting, Jonny Lang and Joss Stone (you know she can rock!), and Trey Anastasio (guitarist for Phish), with some others - including a harmonica solo from Stevie Wonder on the cover of one of his songs.

The whole CD is a marvelous compliation of songs from various genres - a delicious blend of great melodies, sung by premier talents and veteran vocalists, with the backing of sterling studio musicians, and Herbie's ivory tickling solos and spicing throughout. I can't stop listening to it!

I haven't gotten a jazz album this good in a long time. I'll burn you a copy and send it along - JUST KIDDING! Copyright infringement is theft! Go out and buy a copy, the artist diserves it! Check it out.

Notorious Mjt!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Uncle Patrick said...

Thanks for the heads up, Notorious!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home