Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Book Reviews, no Whatnot

Over the holidays, I read some books!

The Areas of My Expertise, by John Hodgman. Mr. Hodgman is a frequent contributor to This American Life on public radio and a sometimes guest on The Daily Show. His book is written like an almanac and purports to contain "complete world knowledge". Indeed, the section on hobo lore alone is exhaustive (he even includes a list of 700 hobo names - number 670 is Flaky Mike Psoriasis). He teaches us the real history of the Maine lobster, reveals the dark secrets of the largest mall in America, and reminds us of the 51st state, Hohoq (also known as Ar). With my many years of graduate and professional school, I thought I knew a thing or two. But after reading this weighty tome, I realize that I know nothing! It is a hilarious book and well worth the time.

The King Must Die, by Mary Renault. This book is the first of two books about the life of the mythical king of Athens, Theseus. It recounts his life as a young man, before he becomes King of Athens, and ends when he (SPOILER!) defeats the Minotaur in Crete. Ms. Renault plays this straight, as a historical novel. There is no fantasy here, save the sense of wonder people of this time and place must have felt about the world around them. The story also traces the passing of an older religion, which venerated a mother goddess, in favor of a male-dominated religion that worshipped a pantheon of Greek gods. But it is also the story of a young man's development into a confident, capable ruler who learns to earn the trust of his followers. It is a fascinating work that I couldn't put down.

To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. This is a book one should make a point of reading every few years. It is a scathing indictment of racism in the South that doesn't condescend towards the white people who perpetuate it. Indeed, on one level it is simply the story of a young girl who has adventures with her brother and Dill (Truman Capote?) in the long, lazy summers of the south in the early 20th century. I remember resenting this book when I was in school, when i had to read it. But when I picked it up again recently, I was totally enthralled. Atticus Finch is my new hero!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home