Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Friday, January 27, 2006

Dare to Dream!

With the recent news about Disney and Pixar, I have spent some of my precious blog-reading time over at Cartoon Brew (now a part of my presitgious link-o-rama), reading reactions for and against the deal by persons directly affected by it.

One piece of news that struck me was the announcement that the new managememt team killed Toy Story 3. One of the reasons cited for this move was the desire to engage the original Toy Story artists when they have a good story. This was a not-subtle dig at the popular Hollywood concept of a sequel for a sequel's sake. People who make movies spend a lot of money and want to see a return on investment. As these people are conservative with their money (if not their politics), they know it is safer to bet on a known success than gamble on something that could flop on opening night. Although I understand the reasons behind this trend of rehashing tired concepts (Big Momma's House 2, anyone?), I am still a dissatisfied consumer. So I find in this piece of news a ray of hope that some truly talented and creative people will have opportunities to produce something new and original and good. The prospect of seeing a great animated film makes me giddy.

I wish the new creative management team at Disney well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home