Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You Got Your Pixar in My Disney

As you doubtless know by now, Disney purchased Pixar yesterday. The two companies had a close relationship in the past (Disney distributed Pixar's films for the past twelve years or so) but that relationship grew strained during the last year or so of Eisner's tenure as Disney's CEO. In fact, Pixar was looking for another studio to distribute its films before Eisner left Disney and the new management proposed the deal. There is some great commentary on this, largely from an animator's perspective, on Cartoon Brew. Something old, Nothing New (link at right) has some thoughts as well.

The deal makes Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple and of Pixar) the largest shareholder at Disney. John Lassiter, creative driving force at Pixar, will now fill the same role at Disney animation. I am not sure where Brad Bird (the writer/director of The Incredibles and The Iron Giant) fits in this scheme. I should note that, as someone who is neither an animator nor a producer, I was completely frozen out. I am very bitter about this.

UPDATE: I read that Brad Bird must join Disney or the deal is off! So I guess he's still in the mix. I still find no reference to me, though.

I predict that Apple's iTunes will feature a lot more Disney related content for the iPod. I understand that many classic Disney cartoons will soon be available for download.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home