Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Eroica

I once dated a woman who told me that Beethoven's music could only be appreciated by mature persons with a deep knowledge of musical theory. Unfortunately for that relationship, I am not the tautest string on the violin and I know just enough music theory to get slapped around in Mexican bars. But I do know one thing: Beethoven's Symphony no. 3 is the best symphony I have ever heard. I love that piece of music! And I went on to marry a wonderful woman, so I win.

I fyou have the slightest interest in this piece, I refer you to this description, which is quite accessible and does not require a Ph.D to understand. If you can get your hands on Leonard Bernstein's audio commentary on the symphony, then do so forthwith.

But most importantly, listen!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait - you get slapped around in Mexican bars, too?....

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might find my Eroica Project interesting.

Regards,
Eric Grunin

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home