Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

House Mates and Who

Last night's episode of House had an interesting twist (which I am not going to spoil for you) but was nothing spectacular. A recurring sub-plot involving Dr. Wilson's separation from his wife continued, as our man Wilson moves in with House. We learn that Wilson spends a lot of time in the bathroom and likes to label his food. At first it appears that the curmudgeonly House will chase Wilson out after only a day or two but, with the labeled food and the new maid, House takes steps to keep his buddy around a little longer. That's some compelling drama, right there.

I suspect the presence of a theme in there somewhere, perhaps one about companionship and/or relationships (this week's victim was involved in a marriage that was, ah, surprisingly open). But other than the twist (which I am not going to reveal here), the show did not explore the implications of the victim's marriage very thoroughly. Dr. Cameron almost did, when she asked a few questions, but that was about it. Maybe the final moment of the show, when she pulled some money out of her pants, was supposed to mean something but it went completely over my head. Granted, it could have been the Shiraz muddling my thinking.

And Stephen Fry? Nowhere to be found. And, as always, you can find a much more intelligent analysis of the show over at Polite Dissent.

I have found myself watching Dr. Who on Friday nights on the Sci-Fi Channel. I haven't watched this show since I was a kid. I was never that impressed with the show: the effects were cheesy and the stories seemed trite, even to a kid. But the main character, a time-traveling alien who lives in a police call box and has adventures with a beautiful woman, is a great hook. As a kid, I thought the Dr. Who with the overcoat, scarf, curly hair, big nose and hat (played by Tom Baker in the 70s) was the coolest dude ever, right up there with Kolchak the Night Stalker. I understand that over the years actors played eccentric variations on the Doctor but I couldn't get into it like many fans.

The new Dr. Who is pretty good. Christopher Eccleston played the good Doctor for a season. He didn't have many of the eccentric accoutrements that Mr. Baker did but he definitely had the right attitude. He played the Doctor as an enthusiastic participant in any situation he found himself in, a being who loved life and reveled in excitement. The attitude is infectious and makes up for some of the (still) cheesy effects. I am also a fan of the current sidekick, Rose (played by Billie Piper). She is more down-to-Earth than the Doctor but she still shares his love for adventure. They make a great team and I enjoy watching them stumble through some crazy sh#t.

In other news, Dave's Long Box (link in the Link-O-Rama)is celebrating its first year anniversary. Take a gander but don't drink the punch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home