Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Friday, September 15, 2006

Hippies!

And now, hippies.

First, the Fairport Convention. This was Richard Thompson's band in the 60s and early 70s. I suppose they weren't hippies in the strictest sense of the word. But they sure had hair! Mr. Thompson rocks in this thing. If you are not buying his records, you are totally square.

Next, Jethro Tull. This band features hippies playing flutes. As we all know, Mr. Anderson went on to become a giant in the salmon fisheries business. I know this music from the "Living in the Past" album, an album I was exposed to at a very early age and is a huge influence on my taste in music. It introduced me to jazz, classical and rock music all at once.

And what post featuring hippies would be complete without Jefferson Airplane? My parents had a copy of Surrealistic Pillow too.

My parents were not hippies in the strictest sense of the word, but they were very, er, hip to the scene. Much like young Ted Nugent. And we all know what happened to Mr. Nugent!

God help me...I love this music! This stuff definitely made its mark on me. Damn long-haired hippies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, if you play all 3 videos at the same time it is a regular Rock-Fest.

My college roommate played a lot of 70's music (I am a '90 grad)and I learned to enjoy it (Tull was one of his favorites). My roommate was from Austin...go figure.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home