Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

...and I don't like anybody very much!

I voted this morning. I must say that I am disappointed that I could not chose "anarchist" as a straight ticket option. Is Kinky Friedman close enough? And no, that does not necessarily mean I voted for him.

I enjoyed Heroes last night but it seemed to me that there were more commercials than content. Is that just my desire to squeeze as much story out of the hour or were there really more commercials? At least we got to see a couple of the heroes do heroic things. Some questions/spoilers:

Does the "equal sign" tattoo signify that the hero who wears it has had a visit from Horned Rimmed Glasses? What about the "S" tattoo that other heroes wear (Niki the Super Stripper has one, as does Horned Rimmed Glasses' mentalist sidekick)? Do these tattoos identify which side the hero is on? What are the sides, anyway?

Can Micah the super kid control machines, electricity or is he a straight-up telekinetic?

Dollars to donuts Radioactive Man is the dude slated to blow up Manhattan.

I thought Nathan arranged to have his brother see Linderman's painting. If so, why did he tell his brother that it would not be possible? More likely is the fact that I misheard it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you missed anything -- didn't Nathan say that Gangster Guy was to send the painting "straight to the gallery?" Not sure why he's telling Peter something different.

I'm pretty sure Micah's power is probably something like: he "understands" machines and can fix them or make them work better.

The equal sign being a mark placed by HRG isn't a bad theory. As for the half RNA symbol, Niki (or rather, "Jessica") has that tattoo, but does HRG's psychic sidekick? I recall that he has the symbol on a necklace but don't recall him having a tattoo (but I might've just missed it).

I don't think this episode had more commercials, just the usual "a lot of commercials" -- including the insufferable This Is Our Country spot -- but the first episode at least had limited commercial interuptions, so maybe these later epsisodes seem more commercial-laden than they are.

I hope that Radioactive Guy isn't what will blow up Manhattan if the heroes don't do something -- they played that clue way too obviously. I'm still hoping that there is some actual master supervillain (not HRG and someone besides Sylar)lurking behind the scenes.

--Chris

8:31 AM  
Blogger Uncle Patrick said...

The psychic sidekick has the necklace with the half-RNA symbol; I have not noticed any tattoo. Nonetheless, he sports the symbol when he is around HRG. Come to think of it, I have not seen the equal sign on him but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have one. Confusing, but interesting.

I must say that I will be most disappointed if there is a villain out there who is responsible for the "Manhattan Project" and we haven't met him/her yet. Having said that, I am not sure who fits the bill. I am not sure that HRG is a villain at this point, in the sense he is EVIL (although his goals may conflict with other protagonists). Sylar strikes me as too chaotic to be a mastermind villain. Niki/Jessica is really small potatoes at this point (heisting 2 million versus blowing up New York City).

As an alternative, Sylar may inadvertently cause the explosion by attempting to eat Radioactive Man's brains...with explosive results.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you pretty much completely.

I wouldn't want them to pull a villain out of left field, but an idea I like is that Linderman (the "reputed" mobster in Los Vegas) could develop into a villain mastermind -- I think we're seeing evidence that he has an interest in supers (and who better to have a super-powered senator in his pocket than a mastermind supervillain mobster?).

Sylar trying to eat Radioactive Guy and blowing up New York is a popular online theory now, but I have to think it's too obvious (I mean, they basically came out and blatantly suggested this possibility, so it would be poor suspense and story development if this was all it came down to).

Fun show. I'd like to see them really start pulling things together and give us more scenes of the supers using their mojo, but I can be patient for now.

--Chris

8:45 PM  
Blogger Uncle Patrick said...

Two new theories:

1. Sylar is not a bad guy at all. After all, have we seen him kill anyone? He may have been trying to rescue the girl in the police station, not dragging her to her doom.

2. Nathan wants to protect his brother from Linderman and arranged to view Isaac's painting himself.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home