Humid Cedar

Chthonic, Tentacular, and just a little Squamous

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Did you ever know that you're my hero?


It was six months ago, and what have we learned (clearly SPOILERS ahead)?


1. Sylar has OCD in a big way. I still do not understand if he acquires his powers through brain eating or through some other method that requires brains. I do not recall him using any power other than telekinesis, which was apparently the power that poor sap had before Sylar smacked him in the head. A possibility is the fact that the sap's power should have been Sylar's power and Sylar, with his ability to detect flaws in things, recognized this and "fixed it." Somehow.

2. Peter and Nathan's dad was a lawyer, and therefore a Very Bad Man. Did Nathan's wife see him fly into the air and stay there, just before the car crash? I like the fact that Linderman is still just a presence that everyone is wary of but the audience has not met. Is he the season's Big Bad?

3. Mr. Bennett's Haitian buddy is around six months ago, and we don't get his story. Does the Haitian have the power to dampen other people's powers? It is possible that Bennett has this power but I seem to recall that the Haitian pulled the same trick on the mind-reading cop several episodes ago, just before the cop succumbed to the drugs.

4. Speaking of Mr. Bennett, we get a better idea of where he's coming from but there are still many unanswered questions. This is not a criticism. I appreciate that his motivation stems in large part from a desire to protect Claire and he is very much an "ends justify the means" kind of guy. I like the fact that he has a history with Mohinder's dad. He tells the Brick Pixie that he wants her to use her power to more constructive, productive ends but we are not sure exactly what that means. And we still have no idea where he gets his resources or what other ultimate goals he may have. I am cool with that.

5. Did anyone else catch Hiro's shoutout to the Alamo Drafthouse? I liked the idea that he cannot change certain things in the past, despite his time-traveling ability. The tragedy of his doomed relationship is very gothic and I appreciated it. However, if the writers push this time-traveling bit too far, my head just might explode from all of the paradoxes and problems it creates. I note that the character's irrepressible optimism is mellowing as a result of his experience.

6. So Niki the Super Stripper had an abusive dad and a sister named Jessica who died young. I gather that Niki developed a split personality in order to deal with parental abuse and this personality assumed the identity of the dead sister. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home